[torquedev] qsub allowing binary commands

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Feb 1 12:45:07 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:44:22AM -0700, Dave Jackson alleged:
> Greetings,
>
>   To date with TORQUE, when a user issues a qsub command with a binary
> argument such as 'qsub /bin/hostname', TORQUE accepts it and returns a
> jobid.  When TORQUE attempts to run the job, it fails with the following
> in the job stderr file:
>
> ------
> -bash: line 1: /usr/spool/PBS/mom_priv/jobs/10211.moab..SC: cannot
> execute binary file
> ------
>
>   Should qsub be enhanced to check for this condition and reject a
> binary up front or be enhanced to support binary execution.  My leaning
> is towards the former at this point with enabling the latter later being
> a possibility based on demand.
>
>   We already do this check in Moab's 'msub' command and could migrate
> the same check into TORQUE immediately.

Unless we come up with some well-defined behaviour for handling binaries
(like file staging, etc.), I vote for adding a check in qsub to reject
binaries.

Now that I think about it, executing binaries should already work?  The
default job launch mechanism is to echo the executable filename into the
login shell's stdin?  That should work correctly with a binary.

I'm thinking the actual default doesn't match ./configure's --help
output.

University of Southern California