[torquedev] Error compiling Torque on Solaris: "GCC no longer implements <varargs.h>."

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Dec 28 00:05:32 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 06:52:41PM +0000, Bernd Schemmer alleged:

> Hi,
>
> I already posted this question to the Torque User Mailing list but it
> seems it was the wrong list. So I try it here again:
>
> I'm trying to compile Torque on my Solaris box and get the follwong error:
>
> bash-2.05#
> make
>
> Making all in
> resmom                                                           `build'
> is updated.
> Making all in
> mom_rcp                                                          gcc -g
> -I../../src/include -I../../src/include -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c replace.c
> In file included from
> replace.c:17:
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.3.2/include/varargs.h:4:2:
> #error
> "GCC no longer implements
> <varargs.h>."
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.3.2/include/varargs.h:5:2:
> #error
> "Revise your code to use
> <stdarg.h>."                                          replace.c: In

I think I have 3 different solutions that should work.

1) use gcc 2.95.3 since it does implement varargs.h
2) find the __TSOLARIS5 line in src/include/pbs_config.h and change it
to "#define __TSOLARIS5".
3) ./configure --with-scp and just not bother with rcp.

> BTW: I did not find a search function for the list archives.

Noone bothers to add their own search engines anymore :)
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asupercluster.org+solaris+varargs.h

So apperently we've never really resolved this issue.  I'll make sure
this happens in January.

University of Southern California