[torquedev] "any" resources

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Dec 19 14:19:55 MST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:04:22AM +1100, Chris Samuel alleged:
> On Friday 16 December 2005 16:49, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> > Now we need to let users specify that their job can run on either arch.
> > I guess what we need is to establish a standard name for an "any"
> > resource.
>
> There already is a standard name - it's "". :-)
>
> When I've configured heterogeneous systems which are either Linux/AIX or
> IA32/AMD64 Linux I've created queues per variant and then left the default
> queue not specifying any attributes, which results in jobs running anywhere.
>
> I'd suggest the simplest method for folks who don't already have this would be
> to create a queue called "any" that assigns no attributes to a job.
>
> Or am I missing something ? (Eminently possible!)

I'm using queues to enforce political policy, not physical boundaries.
I have a dozen such queues and I want to avoid queues like foo1_i686,
foo1_x86_64, foo1_any, foo2_i686,...

I'm just trying to avoid new queues.

University of Southern California