[torquedev] "any" resources

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Dec 16 11:21:52 MST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:45:41AM -0800, Michael Gutteridge alleged:

> Caveat- we don't run a mixed environment- yet.....
>
> Anyway, I would suggest something different.  When one requests nodes
> via the "nodes=" resource, torque seems to operate on the principal that
> it should choose from the widest possible set of nodes.  That is, if I
> only say "nodes=1", it'll choose from the largest set, versus
> "nodes=1:foo", which obviously chooses from a smaller set.
>
> It would make sense to me (it was my first reaction) that if I don't
> select an architecture, it should choose from any available arch.
> However, pbs_resources(7B) indicates that arch defaults to "PBS_MACH",
> which, I guess, is why you've set defaults on those queues.

The default is on the node.  Ask a node its arch, and it will be default
respond with $PBS_MACH.  (though missing from the manpage, opsys has the
same default)

Jobs do not have a default arch.

> I'm perhaps overreaching, but it seems to me that if what you're wanting
> is a desirable behaviour, it would be better to change the defaulting
> mechanism for the "arch" resource, vis if arch isn't set, it can run on
> any arch.
>
> Otherwise my vote is for "any".  Splat (*) is too hard to use in scripts
> and such....

I agree about using metacharacters.  After sleeping on it, I'm thinking
all caps, "ANY" gives it that "official feel."  Of course, being
case-insensitive is always an option.

University of Southern California