[torquedev] "any" resources

Michael Gutteridge mgutteri at fhcrc.org
Fri Dec 16 10:45:41 MST 2005

Caveat- we don't run a mixed environment- yet.....

Anyway, I would suggest something different.  When one requests nodes
via the "nodes=" resource, torque seems to operate on the principal that
it should choose from the widest possible set of nodes.  That is, if I
only say "nodes=1", it'll choose from the largest set, versus
"nodes=1:foo", which obviously chooses from a smaller set.

It would make sense to me (it was my first reaction) that if I don't
select an architecture, it should choose from any available arch.
However, pbs_resources(7B) indicates that arch defaults to "PBS_MACH",
which, I guess, is why you've set defaults on those queues.

I'm perhaps overreaching, but it seems to me that if what you're wanting
is a desirable behaviour, it would be better to change the defaulting
mechanism for the "arch" resource, vis if arch isn't set, it can run on
any arch.

Otherwise my vote is for "any".  Splat (*) is too hard to use in scripts
and such....