[Moabusers] How to keep non-preemptor jobs from running on top of preempted jobs?

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:46:07 MDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm having a quirky problem WRT preemption.  On one of my systems, I
have a job class called "serial" in which jobs are allowed to be
preempted under certain circumstances, one of which is a job from user
"special".  So a bunch of "serial" jobs are running, user "special"
submits a job, some of the "serial" jobs are suspended, and the job from
user "special" runs.  However, when the job from user "special" ends,
not all of the "serial" jobs that were suspended wake back up; instead,
other jobs that *aren't* marked as preemptors are run on those nodes
instead.  This makes the users with the suspended jobs grumpy, and
justifiably so.

Is there a way to prevent this?  (What I'd like is a way to tell Moab
that if there's a preempted job on a node, the *only* jobs allowed to be
run on that node are jobs marked as preemptors.)

Relevant moab.cfg entries:

RMCFG[torque]           SUSPENDSIG=suspend
PREEMPTPOLICY           SUSPEND
JOBPREEMPTMINACTIVETIME 0:01:00
SUSPENDRESOURCES[ALL]   SWAP,DISK
QOSCFG[preemptee]       QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE JOBFLAGS=SUSPENDABLE
QOSCFG[preemptor]       QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR
CLASSCFG[serial]        QDEF=preemptee&
USERCFG[special]        QDEF=preemptor

This is using TORQUE 2.1.8 and Moab 5.1.0p2, BTW; I haven't had a chance
to upgrade to the latest and greatest Moab yet on this system.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/supercomputing/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701