[Mauiusers] [Patch] GPUs by the way of GRES

Suraj Prabhakaran s.prabhakaran at grs-sim.de
Thu May 31 08:08:13 MDT 2012

Hello!

Is this patch completely tested and committed to the maui trunk?

Best regards,
Suraj

On Feb 16, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Bas van der Vlies wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the patch. I will test it and i have also write access to the subversion tree. So if more sites have tested and it works than we can commit it to maui trunk source.
>
> regards
>

> On 02/03/2012 09:58 AM, Jonathan Michalon wrote:
>> Hi Maui folks,
>>
>> GPUs in Maui are a long standing problem. Last year a patch was sent by Mariusz
>> Mamoński [1], which works based on GRES parameters.
>> I've just made GPUs kind of working, by enhancing that patch. Please find
>> attached the resulting patch, which works well for Maui 3.3.1.
>> It defines a special GRES named "gpu" which works as expected on my test cases.
>>
>> Note that GRES behaviour seems quite confused as sometimes they are mentioned
>> as consumable. This patch annihilates this behaviour, for the needs of GPUs.
>>
>> To use the patch:
>> get the sources of maui-3.3.1 and patch them:
>> patch -p1<  ../Patch-for-gpu-GRES.patch
>> then compile as usual.
>>
>> You have to configure the GPUs in maui.cfg:
>> NODECFG[nodename] GRES=gpu:2
>>
>> Then when queuing jobs you can request GPUs with (Torque syntax):
>> qsub -W x=GRES:gpu at 1
>>
>> I hope this helps, please test this and enhance to your needs!
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/mauiusers/2011-April/004622.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> PS. This is the second attempt to send the mail…
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Michalon
>> IT student in Strasbourg
>

> --

--------------------------
Suraj Prabhakaran

German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
Laboratory for Parallel Progreamming
52062 Aachen | Germany

Tel    	+49 241 80 99743
Fax   	+49 241 80 92742
EMail 	s.prabhakaran at grs-sim.de
Web  	www.grs-sim.de

Members:  Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office:  Jülich
Executive board:  Prof. Marek Behr Ph.D. | Dr. Norbert Drewes