[Mauiusers] [torqueusers] [Patch] GPUs by the way of GRES

Jonathan Michalon jonathan.michalon at etu.unistra.fr
Fri Mar 9 12:59:57 MST 2012

Le Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:06:33 +0100,
rf at q-leap.de a écrit :
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> while your patch adds some functionality to count allocated GPUs as
> a GRES, it lacks the important functionality to tell the job which GPUs
> are available for it. If latest torque 2.5.x is built with GPU support,
> you have the option to specify a nodes spec like "-l nodes=1:gpus=1" and
> within the running job you can check $GPUFILE what GPUs you're
> allocated. Now the problem is that a job with a "-l nodes=1:gpus=1"
> specification won't be started with maui even if it has your patch. On
> the other hand, using your "-W x=GRES:gpu at 1" spec (without a "-l
> nodes=1:gpus=1" spec) makes the job run, but
> it doesn't have an idea which GPU to use. Is there an easy way to extend
> your patch, so that maui will make a job run with the "-l
> nodes=1:gpus=1" spec?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roland

Hi Roland,

Hum, since you are speaking about maui / torque interaction I suspect the
problem be really hard (at least for a non-maui-dev like me). The GRES support
is quite a hack to my mind and to add correct support would probably need
full real GPU handling, and torque communication in both directions, as you
mention environment variables to be set. Plus the fact that maui should work
with non-torque setups too.
My job was to find a working solution for the setup here, and I have no time to
really dig in maui internals… sorry. In addition, admins here decided (AFAIK) to
switch to slurm this summer…

--
Jonathan Michalon
IT student in Strasbourg