[Mauiusers] Limit number of processors used per user - Soft and Hard limit

Martin Ratschek martin.ratschek at tugraz.at
Wed Apr 11 09:00:20 MDT 2012

Hello!

I am using Maui 3.3.1 + Torque 2.4.16 on a single multicore server
which is shared between several users.
Each user should have limited access to the resources, in my case the
processors.
The overall 16 processor cores should be shared between 2 users equally.
So far the configuration is working.
(USERCFG[DEFAULT]      MAXPROC=8)
If not all 16 cores are used, one of the user should be able to access
the spare capacity, exceeding the limit "MAXPROC=8".
This should be possible by using soft limits, as far as I understand.
Unfortunately I was not able to create a working soft/hard limit
configuration.
"USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXPROC=8,16" seems to work sometimes but stops
working after a while. Not even restarting torque_server and maui
resolves this issue, but a restart of the server does.
(maui log tells me: "job XXX violates active SOFT MAXPROC limit of 8
for user XXX")

I tried different settings in maui.cfg:
USERCFG[DEFAULT]      MAXPROC=8,16

CLASSCFG[queuename]     MAXPROCPERUSER=8,16

USERCFG[user1]         MAXPROC=8,16
USERCFG[user2]         MAXPROC=8,16

MAXPROCPERUSERPOLICY   ON
MAXPROCPERUSERCOUNT    16
SMAXPROCPERUSERCOUNT   8

USERCFG[user1]         QDEF=users
USERCFG[user2]         QDEF=users
QOSCFG[users]          MAXPROC=8,16

Rest of maui.cfg:
# maui.cfg 3.3.1
SERVERHOST myservername
ADMIN1 root
ADMIN2 user1
RMCFG[MYSERVERNAME] TYPE=PBS
RMPOLLINTERVAL        00:00:05 (reduced value for testing)
JOBAGGREGATIONTIME    00:00:30 (reduced value for testing)
SERVERPORT            42559
SERVERMODE            NORMAL
LOGFILE               maui.log
LOGFILEMAXSIZE        10000000