[Mauiusers] maui limits? looking for experience

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Thu Sep 29 03:30:26 MDT 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:56:56 -0400
Gus Correa wrote:

> Hi Arnau, Jason
Hi Gus,

> Well, I guess I should consider myself happy
> to administer only small clusters. :)
>
> Now, how about the [terse] guidance in the Maui Admin Guide for large
> clusters?
> http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/a.ilargeclusters.php

I have many doubts about those params, maybe it's time to ask about
them :-)

NODEPOLLFREQUENCY: with a RMPOLLINT of 1 minute and NODEPOLL to 3,
during those 3 minutes that maui is not going to ask about node status,
if a node goes from busy to free on minute 1, maui is not going to
schedule jobs there until the 3 scheduling cycle starts... is that
correct?

JOBAGGREGATIONTIME: I don't really understand what this paramater does,
but it talks about burtsy submission, not about long queues.

> And the [slightly more verbose] one for Torque:
> http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/a.flargeclusters.php

Some time ago we did configure all those params (ping/check rate and
tcp_timeout) and torque works fine. But, from torque point of view,
350 nodes is not a "big cluster", so it scales fine.

> Would them help with scalability?
Till now, limiting idle queue improved maui behaviour....

> Cheers,
> Gus Correa
Cheers,
Arnau