[Mauiusers] maui limits? looking for experience

Jason Williams jasonw at Jhu.edu
Wed Sep 28 17:42:59 MDT 2011

I've noticed similar things when my cluster gets loaded too.  I find it
annoying that if maui gets behind, and "misses" scheduler iterations,
because it's working on high job turn around, it has to catch up on the
missed iterations.  Also, while maui is scheduling things, there is what
appears to be a type of global "lock" or block on all communications to
maui.  So if you get very busy, and start missing many iterations, it
can sometimes be over 30 minutes to over an hour before maui starts
responding again.  To users, this may look like a deadlock, but really,
when you look at the logs, maui is just going nuts trying to catch up.

I've been meaning to look at the code to figure out what the heck is
going on, but I haven't had time.

Basically, that's my long winded way of saying "I have seen this too,
Arnau."  And that I don't really have a good way around it aside from
setting limitations as another member suggested.

--
Jason Williams
Sr. Systems Administrator