[Mauiusers] Can´t get busy nodes

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 27 17:07:34 MDT 2011

Hi Fernando

Did you try something like this in your
${TORQUE}/server_priv/nodes file?

frontend np=12 [skip this line if the frontend is not to do job work]
node1 np=12
node2 np=12
node3 np=12
node4 np=12

This is probably the first thing to do.
It is not Maui, just plain Torque [actually pbs_server configuration].

The lines above assume your nodes are called node1, ...
and the head node is called frontend,
in some name-resolvable manner [most likely
in your /etc/hosts file, most likely pointing to the nodes'
IP addresses in your cluster's private subnet, 192.168.X.X,
10.X.X.X or equivalent].

The 'np=12' clause will allow at most 12 *processes* per node.

[However, if VASP is *threaded*, say via OpenMP, then it won't
prevent that several threads are launched from each process.
To handle threaded you can use some tricks, such as requesting
more cores than processes.
Sorry, I am not familiar to VASP to be able to say more than this.]

I would suggest that you take a look at the Torque Admin Manual
for more details:
http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/

There are further controls in Maui, such as
'JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY EXACTNODE' in maui.cfg,
for instance, if you want full nodes allocated to each job,
as opposed to jobs sharing cores in a single node.
However, these choices may come later.
[You can change maui.cfg and restart the maui scheduler to
test various changes.]

For Maui details see the Maui Admin Guide:
http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/index.php

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa