[Mauiusers] Reservations for GPUs

Steve Crusan scrusan at ur.rochester.edu
Tue Sep 27 07:56:06 MDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Denis wrote:

> Hello, Burkhard
>
> Burkhard Bunk <bunk <at> physik.hu-berlin.de> writes:
>

>> Hi Henrik,
>>
>> I had a similar problem recently.
>> Since "consumable resources" didn't work for me, I used standing
>> reservations to "split the nodes":
>> Hope that helps.
> with this approach do you have any mechanism that can allow the user to figure
> out which gpu is in use and which one is available when he gets allocated into a
> node?

You can use the PBS_GPUFILE as an indicator to which GPU a user has been assigned.

http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/3.7schedulinggpus.shtml

In reality, this is merely a placeholder value, because I'm not sure TORQUE physically denies access to the GPU. You can however use prolog/epilog scripts to set user permissions, but in my experience people haven't abused or mistakenly used the wrong GPUs.

If you use Moab as your scheduler, Moab can automatically will track GPUs as a consumable resource.

~Steve