[Mauiusers] Problem with Account Management and Maui 3.3.1

Brian Mendenhall brianm at usc.edu
Tue Sep 20 23:03:34 MDT 2011

I have recently upgraded torque and maui on my cluster and have run into a weird issue that I am having a hard time understanding why I can't find any documentation on the subject.

Maui: 3.3.1 (upgraded from 3.2.6)
RM: Torque 2.4.16 (upgraded from 2.1.12)
AM: Qbank: 2.11 (not upgraded)

Previously, I had torque queues for users that are not charged time for running their jobs, as an example, lets say people that belong to the unix group 'lc_cmb' submit jobs to the 'cmb' queue using 'qsub -q cmb script.pbs'. The maui.cfg entry for cmb was:

CLASSCFG[cmb]           NOAM=TRUE JOBFLAGS=SHAREDIFSINGLENODE MAXJOB[USER]=300,420

and that basically turned off any charges for the cmb group.

I know that qbank is working fine, and maui <-> interaction is fine because regular users that do get charged time work fine.

Is there a different way of turning off account management charges for queues in maui/torque/qbank?

The error in the maui.log file is pretty simple:
09/20 21:49:48 INFO:     transaction sent to AM
09/20 21:49:48 ALERT:    cannot create AM reservation for job '1324' (request refused)
09/20 21:49:48 ERROR:    cannot start job '1324' in partition DEFAULT

Awaiting 00000237 bytes -- Tue Sep 20 21:28:22 PDT 2011
REQUEST=COMMAND=make_reservation AUTH=maui MACHINE=hpc ACCOUNT=lc_cmb USER=sungjech WCLIMIT=86400 PROCCOUNT=16 QOS=DEFAULT CLASS=cmb_exe NODETYPE=DEFAULT TYPE=maui JOBID=1324 JOBTYPE=job NODES=1
REPLY=00000072 STATUSCODE=0 RESULT=sungjech does not have sufficient funds for job 1324

I find this weird:
[root at hpc-pbs maui]$ showconfig | grep '\[cmb\]'
CLASSCFG[cmb]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[cmb]

[root at hpc-pbs maui]$ diagnose -v -c cmb
Class/Queue Status

Name           Priority Flags        QDef              QOSList* PartitionList        Target Limits

cmb                   0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]  [NONE]                0.00  [NONE]
  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[cmb]  MAXJOBPERUSER=420,300

So, the maxjob configuration is there, but no JOBFLAGS or NOAM configurations shown.

-----
Brian Mendenhall
Linux/HPCC Administrator
University of Southern California