[Mauiusers] Maui assigns too many resources

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 8 08:32:56 MDT 2011

Jim Kusznir wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I've got a user who's creating a bunch of single-threaded jobs via
> script (about 250 at a shot).  All are specified (in torque) as -l
> nodes=1:ppn=1.  However, half of his jobs end up queued rather than
> running (he sizes his job to take the entire cluster).  When I look
> into why, checkjob shows that the resources allocated (2) exceeds
> requested (1), and showq shows that it assigned 2 cores per job, yet
> torque can't show that anywhere.  To fix, I restart maui, and it
> correctly sees that each job should only be 1 core and starts the rest
> of the jobs that were queued.  When jobs are in queue, showq shows
> them as requiring only one processor.
>
> How can I fix this permanently?
>
> maui 3.2.6p19 (as installed on a rocks cluster from the torque+maui
> roll, rocks 5.1)
> torque-2.3.0
>
> Thanks!
> --Jim

Hi Jim

Some guesses:

Look at your JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY in ${MAUI}/maui.cfg.
To pack multiple jobs on a node you could choose it to be EXACTPROC.
http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/a.fparameters.php

Another thing to look at, is DEFERTIME.
The default is 1 hour.
You could set it to less.
For instance, if you want it to be one minute, add this line:
DEFERTIME 00:01:00
to your ${MAUI}/maui.cfg file and restart maui.
http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/a.fparameters.php

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa