[Mauiusers] Maui assigns too many resources

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:32:13 MDT 2011

Hi all:

I've got a user who's creating a bunch of single-threaded jobs via
script (about 250 at a shot).  All are specified (in torque) as -l
nodes=1:ppn=1.  However, half of his jobs end up queued rather than
running (he sizes his job to take the entire cluster).  When I look
into why, checkjob shows that the resources allocated (2) exceeds
requested (1), and showq shows that it assigned 2 cores per job, yet
torque can't show that anywhere.  To fix, I restart maui, and it
correctly sees that each job should only be 1 core and starts the rest
of the jobs that were queued.  When jobs are in queue, showq shows
them as requiring only one processor.

How can I fix this permanently?

maui 3.2.6p19 (as installed on a rocks cluster from the torque+maui
roll, rocks 5.1)
torque-2.3.0

Thanks!
--Jim