[Mauiusers] maui (or torque?) policy on node runtime and allocation

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:22:29 MDT 2011

Hi all:

I would like to configure maui on my cluster to ensure that at least
60% of the cluster is available within 24 hours.  The goal here is to
prevent users from consuming the majority of the cluster on jobs that
take more than a day (thus causing turn-around problems for other
users, many of whom have short jobs to queue).

I originally tried to do this with a default queue
(max_walltime=24hrs) and a long queue (no max walltime), with the
intent to restrict that long cannot use more than 33% of the nodes.
However, I haven't figured out how to do that.  At this point, its
that that important to me that I do get it exactly like that, but if
there's a way to ensure that at least 66% of the online cluster will
be available within 24hrs, then that will work.

I've been trying to figure out how to do that with maui's docs, but I
don't really know what I'm looking for, so I haven't been able to
locate it.

Thanks!
--Jim