[Mauiusers] Possible Memory Corruption in maui

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:10:33 MST 2011

2011/11/8 Dr. Stephan Raub <raub at uni-duesseldorf.de>:
> Dear fellow maui users,
>
> we are running Maui 3.3.1 with torque 2.3.7 under RHEL5.5
> (2.6.8-194.26.1.el1) on a 600-somewhat core cluster.
>
> We experienced a sudden death of the maui scheduler with no message in the
> logs. We could not figure out a reason so we attached an "strace" to the
> maui process (as long as it was "still alive") and we got:

[...

> The only error message we see is a "memory corruption" after a
> MPBSClusterQuery() call.
>
> Is this a known problem? How can we fix this?

this is a stab in the dark, but one known problem is
that there are some code segments on maui, that
violate the aliasing requirements in C, and thus
maui should be compiled with  -fno-strict-aliasing .
for gcc 3.x this was the default but it was changed
for -fstrict-aliasing by default on gcc 4.x.

cheers,
   axel.