[Mauiusers] Regarding MAXJOB, MAXIJOB and MAXPROC

sorrillo at jlab.org sorrillo at jlab.org
Sun Mar 27 21:15:09 MDT 2011

Someone asked this question regarding Maui:

Hi,
1- Is there any relation between MAXJOB and MAXIJOB? According to manual:
MAXJOB: Limits the number of jobs a credential may have active (starting or
running) at any given time

MAXIJOB: Idle (or queued) job limits control which jobs are eligible for
scheduling

Now what does "USERCFG[default] MAXJOB=10 MAXIJOB=3" mean?
a. each user can *run* 10 jobs and *enqueue* 3 jobs. So the total jobs of
each
user is 13.
b. each user can *run* 7 jobs and  *enqueue* 3 jobs. So the total jobs of
each
user is 10.

2- If I have defined "USERCFG[default] MAXJOB=2 MAXIJOB=1 MAXPROC=4", and
a user

submit requesting these resources:
job1: -l nodes=7
job2: -l nodes=1:ppn=1
job3: -l nodes=4:ppn=2
job4: -l nodes=10

what is the result?

3- If I have 10 chassis each has 16 processors, I can set MAXNODE=1 to ensure
that a user can no longer request more that 16 processors (in another word it
will implicitly define MAXPROC=16). Is that right?

Also I am assuming that I can aggregate (like so) for an account called
"tomil",

ACCOUNTCFG[tomil] FSTARGET=0.1-  MAXPROC=16,64 MAXJOB=1,3

to explicitly and simultaneously throttle both the maximum number of cores
and the jobs the account can run? We have dual quad core nodes.

Thanks,