[Mauiusers] Incorrect showbf output

Vicker, Darby (JSC-EG311) darby.vicker-1 at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 10 09:21:51 MST 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Hung-Sheng Tsao (Lao Tsao 老曹) Ph. D. wrote:
> On 3/10/2011 9:36 AM, Vicker, Darby (JSC-EG311) wrote:
>> Right, I understand how the hard and soft limits work.  That's not the issue
>> I'm having - the scheduler is respecting the hard and soft limits we have configured
>> and is behaving as expected.
>>
>>> If after doing so there still remain available resources, the scheduler would then select all jobs which meet the less constraining hard per user MAXJOB limit of 8 jobs. These jobs would then be scheduled and/or reserved as available resources allowed.
>> The issue is that showbf doesn't appear to understand the statement above.  That is,
>> its not reporting the idle resources beyond the soft limits that should be available
>> to a user.
> soft limit is limiting the resource user see
> hard limit is extra that allow user to go beyond the soft limit
> it seems that work as expected
> your setting
>
> USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXJOB=2,20 MAXPROC=512,1344
>
> NODEACCESSPOLICY SINGLEUSER
>
> may be change to
>
> USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXJOB=20 MAXPROC=1344
> NODEACCESSPOLICY      shared

I feel like we're talking past each other...

Changing those settings would change the behavior of the scheduler.  We don't want to do that - the scheduler is doing what we want it to.  We want a couple jobs for every user to start and then the rest of the resources on the system are opened up, hence the soft limit of 2 jobs.  Also, we want a single user to have access to all the resources on a given node (memory, network I/O, etc.), hence the "singleuser" node access policy.  While changing those settings may cause showbf to report more accurate numbers, that's not worth the change in scheduling behavior.

In my opinion, the problem is with showbf.  I think it should report the idle resources beyond the soft limits that are available to a user.  When I read the documentation at

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/commands/showbf.php

it sounds like it should do this.  The statement "This command does not incorporate constraints imposed by credential based fairness policies on the results it reports."  is the only thing that gives me pause.  Maybe showbf is behaving as the developers intended.  If so, fine.  Is there someone from Adaptive Computing that can comment on this?