[Mauiusers] MINRESOURCE

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:44:27 MDT 2011

Ok, I have as part of my config:

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY            MINRESOURCE

In my cluster I have mostly 8 processor nodes.
I have one node that has 16 processors and 2 gpu cards. They are in the nodes file as such:

tesla np=16 gpus=2 tesla

So someone could:
qsub -l nodes=1,tesla

now I expected that with MINRESOURCE as my NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY, any job with #PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=8 would go to one of the more 'normal' 8 processor nodes before hitting the tesla node.
This does not seem to be the case as I have completely free 8 processor nodes, but non-gpu/tesla jobs are being run on the tesla node, blocking any jobs that need the gpus.

Is there something I am missing about the NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY? Am I mistaken in believing it would go to non-gpu systems before the gpu system? From the documentation:

"Those nodes with the fewest configured resources which still meet the job's resource constraints are selected. "

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California