[Mauiusers] Standing reservations

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Mon Jul 11 12:25:13 MDT 2011

We are running Maui 3.3.1 and Torque 2.5.3 on Centos 5.6 and are having problems getting standing reservations to work the way we want. We have a handful of groups of users that have purchased nodes in our cluster. They would like to be able to get access to the resources that they paid for without having to wait, but we would like the resources to get utilized when they aren't being used. I think that we should be able to accomplish this with standing reservations and preemption. I had the below configuration running last week and a user in group1 had a job in the queue that was going to have to wait over a day to run. At that time it looked to me like there were nodes reserved with the fluent  reservation, but they were sitting idle and not allowing his job to run. Does anybody see anything wrong with the config file to not allow jobs to run in this reservation? How about the overall goal of standing reservations that allow all users in, but owners are allowed to preempt?

Thanks in advance to any help.

Mike Robbert

SERVERHOST              server.domain.edu
ADMIN1                  maui root admin1
RMCFG[base]             TYPE=PBS
SERVERPORT              42559
SERVERMODE              NORMAL
RMPOLLINTERVAL          00:00:30
LOGFILE                 maui.log
LOGLEVEL                3
LOGFILEMAXSIZE          10000000
DEFERTIME               02:00
QUEUETIMEWEIGHT         1
PREEMPTPOLICY           REQUEUE
BACKFILLPOLICY          BESTFIT
RESERVATIONPOLICY       CURRENTHIGHEST
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY    MINRESOURCE

QOSCFG[batch]           QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE
QOSCFG[group1]          QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR

CLASSCFG[batch]         DEFAULT.WCLIMIT=24:00:00
CLASSCFG[batch]         DEFAULT.TPN=8
CLASSCFG[batch]         MAX.WCLIMIT=144:00:00

SRCFG[fluent]           HOSTLIST=n0,n1,n2,n3
SRCFG[fluent]           RESOURCES=PROCS:8
SRCFG[fluent]           TASKCOUNT=4
SRCFG[fluent]           PERIOD=INFINITY
SRCFG[fluent]           ACCESS=SHARED
SRCFG[fluent]           QOSLIST=group1
SRCFG[fluent]           FLAGS=OWNERPREEMPT
SRCFG[fluent]           OWNER=QOS:group1

NODECFG[DEFAULT]        PARTITION=DEFAULT
NODECFG[n48]            PARTITION=gpu
NODECFG[n53]            PARTITION=gpu
USERCFG[DEFAULT]        PLIST=DEFAULT:gpu PDEF=DEFAULT

# Node access policies: http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.3nodeaccess.shtml
NODEACCESSPOLICY        SINGLEUSER

USERCFG[user1]          QDEF=group1
USERCFG[user2]          QDEF=group1