[Mauiusers] SIGSTOP and SIGTSTP don't work

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 15 06:53:29 MST 2011

    >> how abt 'kill -SIGSTOP <job-id>'

    Mahmood> When I see "kill" and "cancel", I am worry about the result.

'kill -SIGSTOP <process-id>' should indeed pause the process id.  I don't
think either Torque or Maui will know that it's paused though, so if you
were hoping that another job would be run in its place you'd be
disappointed.

Try 'man kill'.  The kill command is the way to send specific kinds of
signals to processes.  If not handled many of those signals will, indeed,
kill the process.  The STOP signal is equivalent to using Ctrl-Z to pause an
interactive process.  The TSTP signals is used to resume a paused process.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/