[Mauiusers] requesting cores with ncpus

Mahmood Naderan nt_mahmood at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 08:10:13 MST 2011

Hi,
Recently I submitted a message to torque user group but found that my question
is actually related to maui. Here is the problem:
With two stations (server+worker) each has 16 cores, I want to submit a job but
don't want to explicitly mention on which station.
If I use "nodes=2:ppn=4", then 4 cores on each station is devoted. That is
fine...
If I use "ncpus=18", I expect that maui put 16 processes on one station and 2 on
the other automatically. However the actual result is that my job is deferred.
Total Tasks: 1  Req[0]  TaskCount: 1  Partition: ALL Network: [NONE]  Memory >=
0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0 Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE] Dedicated
Resources Per Task: PROCS: 17 NodeCount: 1   IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
Bypass: 0  StartCount: 0 PartitionMask: [ALL] Flags:       RESTARTABLE  job is
deferred.  Reason:  NoResources  (cannot create reservation for job '152'
(intital reservation attempt) ) Holds:    Defer  (hold reason:  NoResources) PE:
17.00  StartPriority:  1 cannot select job 152 for partition DEFAULT (job hold
active)

How can I fix that?
Thanks,
// Naderan *Mahmood;