[Mauiusers] array jobs and priorities

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Mon Aug 8 14:23:02 MDT 2011

All,

I am seeing an odd thing in array job prioritization.
It appears that when someone submits an array job with a limit on concurrent runs (eg: -t 1-1000%25), the jobs that are queued continue to accrue priority, but do not run because the limit is stopping them.

This is problematic when there are other jobs in the queue. I end up with MANY array jobs eligible to run, but do not because of the concurrency limit. Other jobs (stuck with a lower priority) do not run because they are waiting for the higher priority array jobs to run...

Is there a way to have array jobs accrue priority at a lower rate than standard jobs? Or if a job is deferred or otherwise held off due to an array throttle, it does not accrue priority?

Finally, is there a variable for interactive jobs I can use for setting priority? I wish to have interactive jobs get the highest priority.

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California