[Mauiusers] blocked jobs never run

William G Wichser bill at Princeton.EDU
Thu Nov 25 05:33:46 MST 2010

Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: Roy Dragseth <roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:33 am
Subject: Re: [Mauiusers] blocked jobs never run
To: mauiusers at supercluster.org

> On Thursday, November 25, 2010 02:26:57 William G Wichser wrote:
> > They are given higher priorirty but because of the fact that
> they cannot
> > fit, they go into mthe blocked state and never get scheduled.  I
> given> wide jobs much higher weights.  But again, because there
> are not enough
> > nodes ever available at one time, they sit blocked with less
> wide jobs
> > keep getting scheduled due only to available cores.
> >

> With blocked, do you mean that they are in Idle state or Deferred
> state?

By blocked I mean that with a showq they are in a blocked state.  With diagnose -q they show up as

job 620120 violates active SOFT MAXPROC limit of 100 for class A (R: 50, U: 100)

> I assume your jobs are Idle, that is, do the largest jobs stay on
> the top of
> the list when you do showq -i.  (If not, you have set some
> throttling policies
> in maui that prevent them from becoming eligible for scheduling.)

Yes.  As mentioned originally, I have a MAXPROC limit set on the class.  More explicitly,
CLASSCFG[A]  PRIORITY=20000  MACPROC=100,120

so, no, they do not show up with showq -i since vthey are blocked.  Now I know the priority is highest for these jobs because when I do remove this limit for MAXPROC and restart, they all go into the IDLE state and using showq -i indeed shows these starving jobs at the top.

> Have you set the RESERVATIONDEPTH in maui.cfg?
>
> We have set
>
> RESERVATIONDEPTH 3
> BACKFILLPOLICY        FIRSTFIT
> RESERVATIONPOLICY     CURRENTHIGHEST