[Mauiusers] Backfill and node reservation

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:10:50 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 23:23, Arnau Bria <arnaubria at pic.es> wrote:
> The problem, that I've not explained
> clearly, is that the "reserved" node is not starting SHORT jobs but
> anyone. So it's not respecting the window.

The maui.cfg content which you have posted so far always includes

BACKFILLPOLICY NONE

which I believe creates the behaviour that you describe. If you set it f.e. to

BACKFILLPOLICY BESTFIT

you should achieve the desired result. Have you used this setting
before and had problems ? (to bring the topic back to a Maui related
one ;-))

> Did I explain myself clear now? Do you understand now why I'm saying
> that backfill is not working?

Yes, it's clear to me now.

> Ok, so maybe mine needs more components, but managing a cluster you
> probaly have something like CFE, Puppet,rocks,a complet kickstart file
> whatever that make things easy/automatic...

The "best" solution is the one that you understand best and are able
to debug if problems appear. So if you're comfortable doing it the way
you have described it, then don't wait for our approval :-)

Good luck!
Bogdan