[Mauiusers] Backfill and node reservation

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no
Mon Nov 15 11:05:23 MST 2010

On Monday, November 15, 2010 18:49:34 Arnau Bria wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 18:18:32 +0100
> Bogdan Costescu wrote:
>
> Hi Bogdan,
>
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 15:47, Arnau Bria <arnaubria at pic.es> wrote:
> > > At some time we'd like to send a kind of job that reboots the host.
> >
> > I wonder why people keep thinking that a job should reboot the node -
> > this would involve making the job run as a priviledged user or
> > relaxing security measures. How about master node tells the node when
> > to reboot in a way that is only available to root ?
>
> I'm also asking how other people is doing what I'm trying. So any
> explanation is welcome!

We just do this through mauis reservation system like follows

1. Set a reservation named REINSTALL or REBOOT on a node.

   setres -n REINSTALL compute-X-Y

2. A cron job checks for reservations with the above names and takes the
appropriate action based on the reservation name if the node is in Idle state.

  ssh compute-X-Y /boot/kickstart/cluster-kickstart

(cluster-kickstart is the Rocks reinstall command)

r.