[Mauiusers] Backfill and node reservation

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Mon Nov 15 08:33:58 MST 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:18:18 -0500
Rich Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

> You could have a periodic check in crontab or similar for "if node is
> offline and list of jobs running on node is empty and [file exists in
> some magic place], reboot", have the file be removed on startup, and
> then send a job to create the file with the special high-priority
> user, then offline the node.
>
> It'll eventually reboot after being offlined and being out of jobs, so
> you drop human intervention without having to do much else.

this is a nice approach and could fit our needs.

But I should be adding/removing that cron cause, maybe, I set offline a
node (intervention, test, whatever) for other purpose and get rebooted /
online without control.

But I like it.

Anyway, I'd like to undestand why backfill is still working with my
original scenario.

> - Rich
Thanks a lot Rich,
Arnau