[Mauiusers] Backfill and node reservation

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Mon Nov 15 08:15:02 MST 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:03:22 -0600
Charles Johnson wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Arnau Bria wrote:
Hi Charles,

> > At some time we'd like to send a kind of job that reboots the host.
> > But before rebooting the host we'd like to "drain" the node and
> > don't lose any job while rebooting.
>

> Why not just mark the node off-line, and when the jobs are finished
> reboot the node?

That's our current procedure.

But, with the reboot scenario I previously described before, we could
eliminate human intervention on reboot and checking node "drain".

*I did not explain, but nodes went online/offline when rebooting
automatically by job and local rc.local file.
So it's interesting for us that a reboot (for kernel update, i.e) could
be done by sending as many jobs as nodes we have.

> ~Charles~
Many thanks for your replies,

Cheers,
Arnau