[Mauiusers] Backfill and node reservation

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Mon Nov 15 07:47:25 MST 2010

Hi all,

I did some similar question on September at Maui list, I had no reply,
but I'd like to redo my question, maybe now I find someone who had same
issue before.

At some time we'd like to send a kind of job that reboots the host. But
before rebooting the host we'd like to "drain" the node and don't
lose any job while rebooting.

That's what we want. My aproach (that maye i wrong as it doesn't
work) is this:

1.- ) create special user with very high priority (call it "special
one") His jobs will always be in top of IDLE queue cause other jobs
will never reach its prio.

2.-) Send a job that requests all node cpus using "special one" user
account (npp=$node_cpu

3.-) Dissable backfill so no short jobs will run while nodes are
drained.

But this scenario is not working.  Seems that backfill is not dissabled
cause top queue jobs "are not blocking" low prio jobs.

Anyone is doing such thing with different approach? Anyone sees what's
wrong with my solution?

TIA,
Arnau