[Mauiusers] limit the amount of memory available per node

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 05:51:50 MDT 2010

I determined that the problem was that the nodes were becoming over
committed by the reservations that reserve two procs and 2GB of memory
while also giving a specific group access to what I thought would be
the rest of the resources on those nodes. Once a node is over
committed by standing reservations, it will not start running any
jobs. It seems maui isn't smart enough to determine the "remaining"
resources on a node, i.e. if you don't specify resources in a
reservation line it will try to reserve all the resources on that node
regardless of resources defined in other reservation lines for the
same hosts.

The solution was to use separate reservations for the various types of
hosts, each with resource lines.

Also the proper way to restart both pbs and maui would probably be to
restart the server first, then restart maui.