[Mauiusers] limit the amount of memory available per node

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 07:37:13 MDT 2010

It looks like RESOURCES=MEM:x sets the per task memory, but I want to
set the amount of memory available to all jobs/tasks on a node. For
example let's say the machine has 12GB of memory but I want to limit
the amount of total usable memory to 10240MB. I set:

SRCFG[myres] FEATURES=mem12g RESOURCES=MEM:10240

but then a job with :

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4
#PBS -l mem=11000mb

is able to run, because the scheduler calculates pmem = (11000/4) =
2750 which is less than 10240 . Now, I could set
MEM:(10240/totalNumProcsOnmem12gNode) but I want a user to be able to
request 1 task with mem=10240mb, i.e. a nodes=1:ppn=1 job that
requests all the available memory on the node. Any way to do this?