[Mauiusers] Fairshare basis

Philip Peartree p.peartree at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 20:01:45 MDT 2010

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way of setting the fairshare basis on the maximum
possible ps as opposed to the current basis of used ps. Our cluster goes
through stages of being underused (2 or 3 jobs) and overused (20/30 jobs in
queue and all cpus in use) and the current basis unfairly penalises those
who use it when it underused, as if you use 3600 procseconds out of 7200 in
a given window that leaves you with a fairshare percentage of 50%, c.f. the
same usage on a busy day with a full cluster (12441600 ps) then you end up
with a fairshare percentage of 0.02%. My math is probably wrong, but you see
the problem, or is there another way round this?

Philip Peartree
University of Manchester