[Mauiusers] Maui Crash, possibly linked to RESERVATIONDEPTH

Jason Williams jasonw at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 30 08:28:22 MDT 2010

I am seeing a very odd bug and am curious if anyone else has seen it.
I'm running Maui 3.2.6p21 and any time I set RESERVATIONDEPTH higher
than 1 and more than 300 or so jobs in the queue, maui will crash on the
bottom side of the scheduler iteration.  The higher the RESERVATIONDEPTH
the more likely I am to see the crash. The error message from the crash,
after figuring out that the message gets thrown away by the something
not redirecting stderr to stdout or to a more meaningful place, is:

*** glibc detected *** /opt/maui/sbin/maui: malloc(): memory corruption:
0x0000000012247800 ***

Now the memory address is always the same, although I'm sure to the
outside observer its exact value is probably pretty meaningless.

So on a whim, I ran maui through valgrind to try to see if valgrind had
any insight to what was going on.  The valgrind report is long(-ish) and
not very encouraging and my experience running things through valgrind
is novice at the moment.  But it seems most of what valgrind is
complaining about (and which would be relevant) would be the function
MResAdjustDRes and all the magic that goes on in there.

I'm basically wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of behavior
and if they have a solution/workaround/patch they'd like to share.  I've
been looking at the code for about a day now and don't really see what
would be causing the valgrind errors let alone the crashing.  If you're
interested in the valgrind report, I can send it along.

Thanks

--
Jason Williams
Systems Administrator