[Mauiusers] fairshare in maui

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Thu Jul 22 09:11:06 MDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:51:27 -0500
Gabe Turner wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:55:36PM +0200, Jan Svec wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have moved from PBSPro to Torque/Maui and now I am a bit confused
> > with fairshare configuration. In PBSPro, fairshare entities (users,
> > groups, queues) were organized in tree structure. It means that I
> > could do something like this - 50% of resources is dedicated to
> > people from experiment A, 50% is dedcated to people from experiment
> > B. Experiment A is divided to subgroups AA, BB, CC. AA can use 10%
> > of A, BB can use 30% of A and CC can use 60% of A. Of course if
> > somebody is not using resources, they are available to other groups.
> > Is there some way, how to achieve this in maui?
>
> You will want to look at Accounts (parameter is ACCOUNTCFG) in Maui.
> It allows you to group groups and users into projects.  You can then
> set fairshare targets based on Account, group and user.

Could you please give a link on this? some examples? I found that but
for moab only... and "my" manual only describes param syntax.

I've been thinking on this and in our conf, and maybe experts could
clarify if we have right conf or not. (Mainly, diff between grouping by
QOS or ACCOUNT).

We have a similar scenario, but we don't use ACCOUNTCFG. We
directly group experiments under QOS (QDEF=experimetA or B) and assign
FS to them. Isn't it correct?

so, if I understood correctly OP, his conf will look like:

FSGROUPWEIGHT           10
FSQOSWEIGHT             100

GROUPCFGG[groupAA] FSTARGET=10 QDEF=experimentA
GROUPCFGG[groupBB] FSTARGET=30 QDEF=experimentA
GROUPCFGG[groupCC] FSTARGET=60 QDEF=experimentA

GROUPCFGG[groupDD] FSTARGET=10 QDEF=experimentB
GROUPCFGG[groupEE] FSTARGET=30 QDEF=experimentB
GROUPCFGG[groupFF] FSTARGET=60 QDEF=experimentB

QOSCFG[experimentA] FSTARGET=50
QOSCFG[experimentB] FSTARGET=50

[...]

is this conf corretyly? isn't it givinf shares as OP desires?
anyone could correct me?

> HTH,
>
> Gabe
Cheers,