[Mauiusers] fairshare in maui

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Tue Jul 20 08:51:27 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:55:36PM +0200, Jan Svec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have moved from PBSPro to Torque/Maui and now I am a bit confused with
> fairshare configuration. In PBSPro, fairshare entities (users, groups,
> queues) were organized in tree structure. It means that I could do
> something like this - 50% of resources is dedicated to people from
> experiment A, 50% is dedcated to people from experiment B. Experiment A
> is divided to subgroups AA, BB, CC. AA can use 10% of A, BB can use 30%
> of A and CC can use 60% of A. Of course if somebody is not using
> resources, they are available to other groups.
> Is there some way, how to achieve this in maui?

You will want to look at Accounts (parameter is ACCOUNTCFG) in Maui.  It
allows you to group groups and users into projects.  You can then set
fairshare targets based on Account, group and user.

We've used this successfully on grant-funded equipment to, for example, set
a fairshare target of 75% for any NIH-funded user/group.  It works well, in
my experience.

HTH,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu