[Mauiusers] soft and hard limits question

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Mon Jul 5 04:07:56 MDT 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:42:09 -0400
Chris Hunter wrote:

Hi Chris,

> We are also experimenting with hard/soft limits. Some suggestions:
> - most of you cluster nodes are busy so jobs might be memory-bound &
> not processor-bound; try MAXPE instead of MAXPROC

Mmmm... I don't remeber if most of them were busy. I remeber some free
nodes. It started with ~170 jobs,  and went down till 30, and some
other jobs where kept as blocked.

I'll try to repeat tests in test server.

> - try using hard/soft limits for USERCFG instead of GROUPCFG (ie.
> create a testuser)
Wow, we'd like to user this feature with ~300 users ...

> - can you paste the output of "diagnose -g" & "diagnose -u" ?
if I'm able to repeat the situation on test, i'll do it.

> Good Luck!
>
> Chris Hunter
> Yale HPC
> chris.hunter at yale.edu