[Mauiusers] MSysRegEvent(JOBRESVIOLATION: job '850416' in state 'Running' has exceeded PROC resource limit (1618 > 100) (action CANCEL will be taken)

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Sun Jan 10 16:28:49 MST 2010

> I've got mpiexec 0.83 setup and working with mvapich2 across multiple
> nodes, but indeed ncpus and PROC limiting doesn't work across nodes,
> i.e. it only calculates the load of the job's processes on a single
> node even if it is running on multiple nodes. It would be nice if
> ncpus could be used across nodes, e.g.:
>
> #PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=12,ncpus=25
>
> Which says my processes will generate no more than a load of 25. I
> guess I'll have to disable PROC limiting since people will be running
> mpich jobs across nodes.

Hi Sabuj,

I think the load is only taken into account if you leave
NODEAVAILABILITYPOLICY with the default setting or explicitly set UTILIZED or COMBINED (for PROCS).

I prefer to set
NODEAVAILABILITYPOLICY      DEDICATED
So that processors are logically allocated rather than considering load.

-- Gareth