[Mauiusers] Fairness Policy Configuration

Marcelo Zimmer mzsflores at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:18:34 MST 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response, but the suggestions don't seem to be
solving my problem. Actually, I've tracked the submitted jobs with the
"showq" command and I couldn't see any blocked ones even if the number of
idle jobs was greater than the number I wast trying to specify (actually,
all non-running jobs appeared with the flag "Q"). As I said in the previous
email, my aim is to set a quite soft policy, which is basically allowing
users to use as many available processors as possible (in an extreme case, a
single user can even take control of the whole cluster and use all
processors at once), while precluding users to submit an extesive number of
jobs that stay on "Q" mode, which would result in people "taking control" of
the cluster during on month, for instance. As result, I found 5 a good
number to set as the maximum number of idle jobs per user.

This way, as far as I could understand, the number specified in
"max_user_queuable" or "max_queuable" flags in torque (PBS) indicates the
maximum number of jobs a user can put in queue, regardless of its status
(either running or idle). For that, I found very hard to set a number for
those flags, because they would result either in unused processors while
there's just one person in need to use the cluster or in setting a high
value that would allow user to keep a long list of idle jobs and preventing
(or delaying someone else's job to start) others to use the cluster.

Do I still missing anything?

Best regards,

Marcelo Zimmer

                               Marcelo Zimmer S. Flores
                                 (PhD Physics Student)

Address:
       Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP
       Instituto de Fisica Gleb Wataghin - IFGW
       Grupo de Solidos Organicos e Novos Materiais - GSONM
       Departamento de Fisica Aplicada (DFA) - Room 61
       Campinas - Sao Paulo - Brazil
       13083-970
       Caixa Postal: 6165
       zimmer at ifi.unicamp.br