[Mauiusers] Fairness Policy Configuration

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Feb 24 13:06:20 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:43:02AM -0300, Marcelo Zimmer alleged:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm configuring small cluster in my lab and I've managed to install properly
> both torque and maui. They've been working neatly for over a month now.
> However, since it's a somewhat small group that uses the cluster resources,
> no fairness policy had been set at first. Now, I'm in the need of it (a very
> soft policy, though), but I just can't set anything up regarding this. What
> I'm intending to do is to set a maximum of 5 idle job limit per user. As far
> as I'm concerned, all what I have to do is to edit the "maui.cfg" file (only
> this?) and include somewhere in this file, the following string
>
> USERCFG[DEFAULT]  MAXIJOB=5
>
> However, during the tests I still could put on queue as many jobs as I
> wanted. I've also tested other keys such as "MAXJOB" without success.
>
> Summary of actions:
>       * stop all torque executions (pbs_server and pbs_mom)
>       * stop maui
>       * edit maui.cfg file
>       * start torque executions (pbs_server and pbs_mom)
>       * start maui
>       * run a job  (usually a sleep command) using the "qsub" command.
>
> Am I missing anything?

You want to prevent more than 5 jobs per user from being accepted into the
queue? Maui can only schedule, it can't reject jobs.

The queue management is in the torque.  'man pbs_queue_attributes'. You want
max_user_queuable or perhaps max_queuable.

As an aside, for edits to maui.cfg, only restart the maui daemon. For changes
in qmgr, don't restart anything.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!