[Mauiusers] Fairness Policy Configuration

Marcelo Zimmer mzsflores at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 06:43:02 MST 2010

Hello all,

I'm configuring small cluster in my lab and I've managed to install properly
both torque and maui. They've been working neatly for over a month now.
However, since it's a somewhat small group that uses the cluster resources,
no fairness policy had been set at first. Now, I'm in the need of it (a very
soft policy, though), but I just can't set anything up regarding this. What
I'm intending to do is to set a maximum of 5 idle job limit per user. As far
as I'm concerned, all what I have to do is to edit the "maui.cfg" file (only
this?) and include somewhere in this file, the following string

USERCFG[DEFAULT]  MAXIJOB=5

However, during the tests I still could put on queue as many jobs as I
wanted. I've also tested other keys such as "MAXJOB" without success.

Summary of actions:
      * stop all torque executions (pbs_server and pbs_mom)
      * stop maui
      * edit maui.cfg file
      * start torque executions (pbs_server and pbs_mom)
      * start maui
      * run a job  (usually a sleep command) using the "qsub" command.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Marcelo Zimmer

                               Marcelo Zimmer S. Flores
                                 (PhD Physics Student)

Address:
       Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP
       Instituto de Fisica Gleb Wataghin - IFGW
       Grupo de Solidos Organicos e Novos Materiais - GSONM
       Departamento de Fisica Aplicada (DFA) - Room 61
       Campinas - Sao Paulo - Brazil
       13083-970
       Caixa Postal: 6165
       zimmer at ifi.unicamp.br