[Mauiusers] NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF

Craig West cwest at astro.umass.edu
Tue Feb 9 09:01:04 MST 2010

I've been trying to tune the allocation of nodes, and I can't seem to
get PRIORITYF to work.

The allocation doesn't seem to work. I have two different speeds of
nodes, and have defined their speeds as a PROCSPEED variable:

NODECFG[Node01]    ARCH=Opteron PROCSPEED=2000 PARTITION=OPTERON
NODECFG[Node33]    ARCH=Opteron PROCSPEED=2400 PARTITION=OPTERON

I've also defined the NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY as listed in the web page
docs from
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='SPEED + .01 * AMEM - 10 * JOBCOUNT'

The jobs still ran on the slowest nodes first, so I tried just this:

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='SPEED'

But that wouldn't work either. The jobs still start on the slowest nodes.

I was able to get "JOBCOUNT" to work as expected. Jobs started on nodes
with jobs already on them, rather than idle systems.
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='JOBCOUNT'

So perhaps its just "SPEED". I have the nodecfg SPEED setting of 1.00
for all nodes, but the PROCSPEED is different.
The webpage says:
    SPEED: if set, node 'procspeed'.  otherwise, relative node 'speed'

The nodes correctly list their ProcSpeed settings when queried with
checknode:
Checknode Node01
Speed:      1.00  Load:      16.000 (ProcSpeed: 2000)
Checknode Node33
Speed:      1.00  Load:      16.050 (ProcSpeed: 2400)

Changing the NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY to FASTEST did get the allocation onto
the fastest nodes first, but I wanted to select nodes on more parameters
than speed.
I used this to make sure that MAUI actually was understanding the
ProcSpeed variable in at least one function.

Is there anyway to check the "current" node allocation values to see
that the PRIORITYF function is being parsed?
Is there some other variable that needs to be set somewhere to get this
to work?

I am running Torque 2.3.8 with Maui 3.2.6p21

Craig.