[Mauiusers] timing question

Marcelo Zimmer mzsflores at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 13:41:54 MDT 2010

Hi Joe,

I myself am not an expert in maui/torque, but I've been using them for a
while now and I couldn't find any reference on available manual to
workaround your issue. However, sometimes I also need run several small jobs
and, in order to avoid this queue latency I put in the submission script the
list of programs to be run. This way, the torque/maui system will be running
only one script that will call all your programs to be executed.

Regarding this issue, I'd like to address a comment/question. As far as I
could notice, the first action Maui takes when receiving a job to queue, is
to include it as "Blocked". Then, it checks if any policy (mainly present in
maui.cfg) or system constraint (i.e. job asks to be run in 10
processors/machine when there's no such hardware in queue) prevents the job
to be promoted to "Idle". If everything is ok, the job is promoted to "Idle"
and then to "Active" if there are resources available. Is it what really
happens? Maybe it's the main point for those 2 seconds latency that you are
experiencing.

Best regards,

                               Marcelo Zimmer S. Flores
                                 (PhD Physics Student)

Address:
       Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP
       Instituto de Fisica Gleb Wataghin - IFGW
       Grupo de Solidos Organicos e Novos Materiais - GSONM
       Departamento de Fisica Aplicada (DFA) - Room 61
       Campinas - Sao Paulo - Brazil
       13083-970
       Caixa Postal: 6165
       zimmer at ifi.unicamp.br