[Mauiusers] CLASSCFG+MAXPROC issue or missusage?

Jones de Andrade johannesrs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:28:43 MDT 2009

Hi all.

After a long time over this subject, I found the following:

###########
*$ diagnose -c*
Class/Queue Status

Name           Priority Flags        QDef              QOSList*
PartitionList        Target Limits

qm                    0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]
[NONE]                0.00  [NONE]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[quantum]  *
MAXJOBPERUSER=1,1*
cluster               0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]
[NONE]                0.00  [NONE]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[cluster]
###########

As one can see, not only the "cluster" queue has absolutely NO limits, as
there is a strange and non-defined limit for the "qm" queue. Do to that, and
after trying different but similar syntaxes for CLASSCFG line, I gave up and
did a workaround using USERCFG and GROUPCFG. Now, diagnosing for classes,
users and groups yields me the following:

################
*$ diagnose -c*
Class/Queue Status

Name           Priority Flags        QDef              QOSList*
PartitionList        Target Limits

qm                    0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]
[NONE]                0.00  [NONE]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[quantum]  *
MAXJOBPERUSER=1,1*
cluster               0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]
[NONE]                0.00  [NONE]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[cluster]

*$ diagnose -g*
Displaying group information...
Name         Priority        Flags         QDef      QOSList*
PartitionList Target  Limits

DEFAULT             0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=16
group1                0       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]                [NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=16
group2              0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=16

*# diagnose -u*
Displaying user information...
Name         Priority        Flags         QDef      QOSList*
PartitionList Target  Limits

DEFAULT             0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=8
user1              0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=8
user2            0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=8
user3             0       [NONE]       [NONE]       [NONE]
[NONE]   0.00  MAXPROC=8
###############

In this way, the queue "cluster" is now working and the queue limits are
enforced. Since I heard from other maui users that they also got issues when
trying to use CLASSCFG statements, and also have done similar workarounds,
it really seems that there is a severe bug on this option.

Also, I'm disturbed by the limitation in the "qm" queue. Since I'm not
explicit ordering any limitation for that queue in the maui.cfg file
anymore, and specially not limiting the max number of jobs per user, is
there any other configuration file that I may have wrongly and inadvertidly
set some sort of limitation on this specific queue?

Thanks,

Jones