[Mauiusers] mauiusers Digest, Vol 62, Issue 4

Matthias Lein m.lein at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 9 20:18:37 MDT 2009

Hi Gareth,

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 6:00 AM, <mauiusers-request at supercluster.org> wrote:
[scheduling without regard to standing reservations]
> We recently moved to starting moab in a paused state with the option:
> -P 3600
> (with a 1 hr timeout in case we forget to un-pause).  It was an undocumented feature in moab
> but may be documented now. Maui might support this or someone could develop a patch.

it doesn't work for maui, but a combination like:

maui && sleep 5 && schedctl -s && sleep 120 && schedctl -r

pauses maui for two minutes before re-starting scheduling. This also
seems to cure our problem.

[standing reservations for weekdays ignored after the weekend]
> You should be able to fix this with the DEPTH parameter - at least DEPTH=3 I think.
> SRCFG[machine1] DEPTH=10

Yep, thanks! That's what we needed. I initially thought with "DEPTH=2"
the next 2 possible reservations would be generated (which would cover
the Monday reservation). Apparently, if your setting is "PERIOD=DAY",
"DEPTH=2" means that maui plans two _days_ in advance (which is not
enough to cover the weekend).

Thanks for the hints Gareth - also thanks to Paul Szczypka and Tom
Rudwick who contributed as well!

Cheers,
Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Lein <m.lein at massey.ac.nz>
Centre for Theoretical Chemistry and Physics (CTCP), Bldg. 44