[Mauiusers] Maui starting jobs despite standing reservations

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Fri Sep 4 20:18:01 MDT 2009

> > I have two issues with our maui installation (maui-3.2.6p21 and
> > torque-2.1.11, both compiled from scratch running on an Ubuntu
> > system).
> >
> > We have a setup where all available machines are in the queueing
> > system but only dedicated computer-servers are running calculations
> > all the time. Desktop machines (with users in front of them) are
> > available for calculations only after-hours and on weekends (with the
> > exception of jobs run by the user of the desktop).
> >
> > I implemented this setup through statements like:
> >
> > NODECFG[machine1]         MAXLOAD=1.8
> >
> > SRCFG[machine1]            USERLIST=user1
> > SRCFG[machine1]            OWNER=USER:user1
> > SRCFG[machine1]            HOSTLIST=boron
> > SRCFG[machine1]            PERIOD=DAY DAYS=MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI
> > SRCFG[machine1]            STARTTIME=9:00:00 ENDTIME=18:00:00
> > SRCFG[machine1]            ACCESS=shared
> >
> > in maui.cfg. This works very well - in principle. However there are
> > two situations where maui doesn't get it right.
> >
> > 1) The maui process is restarted.
> > When I restart maui for some reason it completely ignores all
> > reservations right after startup, only after some time has passed the
> > configuration works as expected. This often causes desktop machines to
> > start calculations even though they should be kept available for the
> > user actually sitting in front of it.
> > At the moment my work around id to disable the queue in torque and
> > re-enabling it after maui has run for a couple of minutes - works fine
> > but is not very convenient.

We recently moved to starting moab in a paused state with the option:
-P 3600
(with a 1 hr timeout in case we forget to un-pause).  It was an undocumented feature in moab but may be documented now. Maui might support this or someone could develop a patch.

> > 2) Weekends.
> > Sometimes maui will start jobs on Friday evenings (Fri, 6pm - see
> > configuration above) that actually run longer than Monday 9am. This,
> > of course, causes users to find a job running on 'their' machine when
> > they return after the weekend. I have not yet found a way to fix this.
> > I suspect it might be a problem of maui's 'horizon' - It might not
> > know on a Friday night what is supposed to happen on the next Monday
> > morning.

You should be able to fix this with the DEPTH parameter - at least DEPTH=3 I think.
SRCFG[machine1] DEPTH=10

Cheers,

Gareth, CSIRO ASC