[Mauiusers] Maui starting jobs despite standing reservations

Matthias Lein m.lein at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 2 17:32:26 MDT 2009

Hi everybody!

I have two issues with our maui installation (maui-3.2.6p21 and
torque-2.1.11, both compiled from scratch running on an Ubuntu
system).

We have a setup where all available machines are in the queueing
system but only dedicated computer-servers are running calculations
all the time. Desktop machines (with users in front of them) are
available for calculations only after-hours and on weekends (with the
exception of jobs run by the user of the desktop).

I implemented this setup through statements like:

NODECFG[machine1]         MAXLOAD=1.8

SRCFG[machine1]            USERLIST=user1
SRCFG[machine1]            OWNER=USER:user1
SRCFG[machine1]            HOSTLIST=boron
SRCFG[machine1]            PERIOD=DAY DAYS=MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI
SRCFG[machine1]            STARTTIME=9:00:00 ENDTIME=18:00:00
SRCFG[machine1]            ACCESS=shared

in maui.cfg. This works very well - in principle. However there are
two situations where maui doesn't get it right.

1) The maui process is restarted.
When I restart maui for some reason it completely ignores all
reservations right after startup, only after some time has passed the
configuration works as expected. This often causes desktop machines to
start calculations even though they should be kept available for the
user actually sitting in front of it.
At the moment my work around id to disable the queue in torque and
re-enabling it after maui has run for a couple of minutes - works fine
but is not very convenient.

2) Weekends.
Sometimes maui will start jobs on Friday evenings (Fri, 6pm - see
configuration above) that actually run longer than Monday 9am. This,
of course, causes users to find a job running on 'their' machine when
they return after the weekend. I have not yet found a way to fix this.
I suspect it might be a problem of maui's 'horizon' - It might not
know on a Friday night what is supposed to happen on the next Monday
morning.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Lein <m.lein at massey.ac.nz>
Centre for Theoretical Chemistry and Physics (CTCP), Bldg. 44