[Mauiusers] qalter question

Simon Hammond simon.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:05:55 MDT 2009

Hi Henrik,

I can see why this would be useful (we have had similar things at Warwick).

How do users know they will need an extra 5 or 10 hours? Is it because
they can see some of the output (say based on iterations etc?). I
think here we encouraged users to set the maximum time for their jobs
(say 110 in your example) and then lower the walltime via qalter if
they could see their jobs finishing a lot earlier. It means the
scheduler can do a pretty good schedule for the larger jobs but then
squeeze in a few (short) backfills if the simulations finish early.
Just a suggestion and probably not what you want but it might help you
out in the mean time?

Simon Hammond

High Performance Systems Laboratory
University of Warwick, UK