[Mauiusers] Adding nodes in remote locations

Steve Young chemadm at hamilton.edu
Wed Oct 14 17:35:40 MDT 2009

Hi All,
	First just a thanks to the Cluster Resources guys for fixing the list
so quickly =).

	We're going to be adding another Altix cluster to the mix of machines
we already have. The only problem is that it is going to be in a
distant location. I'm wondering if others could give me some advice as
to the best solution to add this. We're tempted to just do a separate
install of torque/maui, copy all the user account info and just log
into that machine to submit. I'd like to be able to just add it to
everything we already have instead of having to duplicate this as we'd
loose some of our accounting and other stats having a separate
instance. We do have a central torque/maui/gold setup here as well as
all the account info and various other services. Should I just try to
add this host into our queue system over the internet?
	Would it be easier to install another instance of torque (and or
maui) on this Altix cluster to queue up to? Or can the central system
here be configured to work together with a secondary install on the
Altix? I'm just thinking out loud as I haven't researched it a lot
yet. I'm hoping someone out there who is already running a few
different locations will be able to give me some good pointers before
I proceed ;-). Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Steve

Steve Young
Unix/HPC System Administrator
Hamilton College